POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) : Re: Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 6 Jun 2005 20:53:14
Message: <42a4effa$1@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:
>>Not a beginner to POV-Ray (first experience in 1995).
>
> Gee, that's just one year less than me. Give or take several months, maybe.
> Been such a long time.

	Well, I'll confess. I started with raytracing in 1994 with Alexander
Enzmann's Poly-Ray (who, as  you may know, was a contributor to POV-Ray
in those days). I was introduced to it through the disk that came with
Personal Computer World (UK - now defunct PC magazine). Had never heard
of raytracing, but the tutorial in the magazine produced awesome results
with little effort, and I was hooked.

	POV-Ray was mentioned, and I got it in '95. However, I was able to make
much better scenes much more quickly with Polyray, and so there wasn't
too much motivation to use POV-Ray. But then Polyray was no longer.

> You might want to try using a blob, cobbled together using #while loop and
> randomized positions and scales.
>
> I'd type one up here as an example to explain better but I'm only stopping
> in real quick here. Hopefully you know of these things already anyway.
> Negative strength component parts could be useful, too. I'd use a cylinder
> component (sorry, I still call the blob pieces this name even though that
> changed long ago) for the main icing cover then create indentations using
> negative parts, and finally add dripping sides with positive strength
> spheres (scaled/rotated appropriately).

	Hmm...Seems like it should work, and sort of obvious now that you
mention it. I don't have a good feel for blobs, which is perhaps why.
Will give it a try. Thanks.

--
When an agnostic dies, does he go to the "great perhaps"?

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl